Skip to main content

ubuntu 13.10 + windows 8.1 + vmware player 6.0.1 = success

Ubuntu Gnome (Gnome 3 + Ubuntu 13.10)
Last night my copy of VMware Player 6 automatically updated itself to version 6.0.1. In the process the VMware Tools that are installed on the various virtual machines were also updated, in particular those for the latest Linux distributions such as Ubuntu 13.10.

Under VMware Player 6 the shared directory kernel module failed to compile. Under 6.0.1 the module successfully compiled, installed, and executed, allowing my Share directory on the Windows 8.1 host side to be seen. And of course, as I reported earlier after repairing the version 6 installation, networking out of the VM into the outside world is working just fine.
Gnome 3 showing some of its hidden capabilities
As the picture captions note, this is Ubuntu Gnome, a distribution built up from Gnome 3.8 and Ubuntu 13.10. This combination has resulted in a stable and pleasant distribution. I find it somewhat amusing that two of the more controversial desktops (Gnome 3 and Unity) are now the most polished of the desktops out there. In my earlier Ubuntu 13.10 post I called it a "stellar release." Gnome Ubuntu is equally "stellar."

I'm not "dissing" the earlier community "responses" to these two desktops, such as Linux Mint. I'm just saying that both of these are now top-notch quality distributions with equally good desktops. Combined with Linux Mint and Cinnamon, they come together as an informal trinity, if you will, of alternative operating systems. I haven't seen Linux this good in a long, long time.
Gnome 3 showing some of its desktop effects
There is still one minor issue with shared directories, and I've tested this with both Gnome Ubuntu and straight-up Ubuntu. The VMware shared directory does not automount on startup. The workaround is to simply type 'sudo mount /mnt/hgfs' at the command prompt and it will mount. I suppose I could add an entry to /etc/fstab (or whatever passes for that in Ubuntu these days), but most of the time I just suspend the VM on the Windows desktop rather than shut the VM down. It makes it easier to start it back up later, especially if I've got editors and files open under Linux.

If you're wondering why I bother, the answers are fairly simple:
  1. I still like Linux for the kind of work I do.
  2. Virtualization removes nearly all issues, especially the issue "Linux won't run [whatever]". I can either run Linux in a VM on Windows, or run Windows in a VM on Linux. I've done both, and it's irrelevant to argue which is superior.
  3. At some point in the very near future I am switching over to a full Linux stack on a new notebook. It will run side-by-side my current Samsung. Paranoia is driving me in this direction. I'm slowly unwinding my positions on the web, dropping accounts (such as my dropping Facebook) and hardening what I have left with strong encryption that hasn't been compromised/back-doored by the NSA.
I would have moved to one of the BSD derivatives (Free and Open come to my mind), but my experiences with the latest FreeBSD distributions (9.2) has been less than satisfactory. The BSD elitists may turn their noses up at Linux, in much the same way the Linux elitists turn their noses up at just about everything else, but if I had to make a choice between just two operating systems, Linux and BSD, I'd choose Linux every time.

P.S. No, I will never buy a system with, or run, Google's Chrome OS.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

vm networking problem fixed

Over the weekend I upgraded to Windows 8.1, then discovered that networking for the virtual machines wouldn't work. Then I tried something incredibly simple and fixed the problem.

Checking the system I noticed that three VMware Windows services weren't running; VMnetDHCP, VMUSBArbService, and VMwareNatService. VMware Player allows you to install, remove, or fix an existing installation. I chose to try fixing the installation, and that fixed the problem. The services were re-installed/restarted, and the virtual machines had networking again.

Once network connectivity was established there was exactly one updated file for Ubuntu 13.10, a data file. This underscores how solid and finished the release was this time. Every other version of every other Linux installation I've ever dealt with has always been succeeded by boatloads of updates after the initial installation. But not this time.

Everything is working properly on my notebook. All's right with the world.