the trailing edge

red wheels
red wheels
In an age of ever accelerating camera releases, we can't keep a camera long enough before the next iteration is released and the world at large starts calling what we currently have as old and busted, while the latest releases are the new hotness. I went out tonight for my walk around Dupont, but this time, instead of taking the merely old Olympus E-M5 I took the very old Panasonic GX1 with the hoary old Panasonic 1.7/20mm mounted on it.

I took them because together they're a quite unpresupposing combination. They just blend in. They're a compact powerful photographic pair that with the right kind of light and careful attention to exposure can produce some excellent images with that je ne sais pas ce image quality. The 20mm, matched with the absolutely ancient Panasonic 16MP sensor, produces some quite detailed images that match the E-M5 in sharpness and detail.

The E-M5 and the GX1 represent a kind of µ4:3rds yin-and-yang camera pair for me. Depending on the mood I'm in, influenced in no small part by the lighting and the subject matter, I may reach for one or the other. There is no automatic decision process where I always reach for just one camera. It just all depends.

I'm slowly growing more attuned to the qualities and features of both cameras. I'm taking great satisfaction learning how to get the best out of both. And in the process they're helping me learn how to get the best out of me.
bus bay 6
bus bay 6
geared
geared
sky light
sky light

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5