Fairy Linux Progress Report

Back on Christmas Day I proposed the creation of yet another Linux distribution, which I named Fairy Linux. I am pleased to report that I have come up with a release name for the first iteration of this fabulous distribution. Borrowing from the pattern made most famous by Ubuntu Linux, it is (drum roll please)...

Alluvial Alligator

Careful study of the entomology of the release name will illuminate why I chose it.
  • Alluvial - something that is created over a very long time. This should be your first Big Clue as to what is to come. Since I am a group of one, don't expect this product to come flying out in record time. In other words don't hold your breath. And since I want a quality release (where I define quality to include as few bugs as possible), you really shouldn't hold your breath.

  • Alligator - I live in Florida after all. We have a fair number of Alligator mississippiensis roaming about the state, through canals and retention ponds. We also have Gainesville and the University of Florida (however, I am more of the 'Nole persuasion, and thus a certified Gater Hater). It thus seemed only right and proper to name my first release after such a creature. Besides that, the 'gator is known for it's bone crushing bite, and the fact it will bite you if you get near it at all, which just goes to remind me of many of my encounters with Linux distributions in the past.
Of course, it's somewhat humorous to realize that a full grown alligator would consider any number of Fairy penguins as little more than little fluffy appetizers. An alligator is a Manly beast.

Comments

  1. How is the actual distro coming? I was very intrigued by your first post. Have you begun or are you still brainstorming?

    Keep the posts coming. I would love to see where you go with this

    http://unknownrebellion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are checked. Comment SPAM will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5