Skip to main content

Spider-Man 3

So I waited until today (Sunday) to head on over to the theater, and I hit the 9:45 A.M. (yes, that early in the morning) to be one of about a dozen movie-goers to see the latest Spider-Man. When I got to the theater I was literally the only one in line that early. The lone guy selling tickets told me that the big crowds had hit Friday ("It was a mad house"). He said that it was that empty Saturday as well as this morning. I don't think that bodes well for continuing ticket sales. I think sales are going to crash pretty hard by next weekend, with our without another blockbuster release.

So I got in and picked one of the best locations in the theater, with lots of elbow room. I looked around and counted 11 other people scattered around an area capable of seating 400. I pulled out my cell phone and played Snakes while the ads and previews played, then put it away to watch the movie. I hate wasting 15-20 minutes sitting through that crap.

I have to say that the movie was quite frenetic, what with Spider-Man fighting Harry (The New Goblin), Venom, and Sandman, with a grand finale at the end pitting Venom and Sandman against Spidey and Goblin, with Mary Jane caught in the middle. The themes throughout the movie were about darker sides and what really motivates us to do what we do. And Pete finally forgives the man who killed his Uncle Ben and in the process brings that part of his life to a close.

Best part? Watching Bruce Campbell play a French maƮtre de (with a flawless accent) at a swanky New York restaurant. This marks Bruce's third appearance in the Spider-Man movie franchise where he's played a pivotal role. If it wasn't for Bruce I think the movies would have been critical flops.

Like I said, lots of villains, sub-plots, and action. In short, like a big movie comic book. Should you see it? Depends. I liked it, but what do I know. It was a damn sight better than the last three Star Wars movies. In case you missed it Spidey 3 raked in $148 million this weekend in spite of nearly every critic's attempt to trash it.

It'll be interesting to see if Sony makes any more Spider-Man movies. It will also be interesting to see if any other summer 2007 blockbusters make as much money; I'm thinking Pirates, Fantastic Four, and Harry Potter in particular. Who knows. This may be one hell of a summer for movies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…

vm networking problem fixed

Over the weekend I upgraded to Windows 8.1, then discovered that networking for the virtual machines wouldn't work. Then I tried something incredibly simple and fixed the problem.

Checking the system I noticed that three VMware Windows services weren't running; VMnetDHCP, VMUSBArbService, and VMwareNatService. VMware Player allows you to install, remove, or fix an existing installation. I chose to try fixing the installation, and that fixed the problem. The services were re-installed/restarted, and the virtual machines had networking again.

Once network connectivity was established there was exactly one updated file for Ubuntu 13.10, a data file. This underscores how solid and finished the release was this time. Every other version of every other Linux installation I've ever dealt with has always been succeeded by boatloads of updates after the initial installation. But not this time.

Everything is working properly on my notebook. All's right with the world.

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…