Spider-Man 3

So I waited until today (Sunday) to head on over to the theater, and I hit the 9:45 A.M. (yes, that early in the morning) to be one of about a dozen movie-goers to see the latest Spider-Man. When I got to the theater I was literally the only one in line that early. The lone guy selling tickets told me that the big crowds had hit Friday ("It was a mad house"). He said that it was that empty Saturday as well as this morning. I don't think that bodes well for continuing ticket sales. I think sales are going to crash pretty hard by next weekend, with our without another blockbuster release.

So I got in and picked one of the best locations in the theater, with lots of elbow room. I looked around and counted 11 other people scattered around an area capable of seating 400. I pulled out my cell phone and played Snakes while the ads and previews played, then put it away to watch the movie. I hate wasting 15-20 minutes sitting through that crap.

I have to say that the movie was quite frenetic, what with Spider-Man fighting Harry (The New Goblin), Venom, and Sandman, with a grand finale at the end pitting Venom and Sandman against Spidey and Goblin, with Mary Jane caught in the middle. The themes throughout the movie were about darker sides and what really motivates us to do what we do. And Pete finally forgives the man who killed his Uncle Ben and in the process brings that part of his life to a close.

Best part? Watching Bruce Campbell play a French maƮtre de (with a flawless accent) at a swanky New York restaurant. This marks Bruce's third appearance in the Spider-Man movie franchise where he's played a pivotal role. If it wasn't for Bruce I think the movies would have been critical flops.

Like I said, lots of villains, sub-plots, and action. In short, like a big movie comic book. Should you see it? Depends. I liked it, but what do I know. It was a damn sight better than the last three Star Wars movies. In case you missed it Spidey 3 raked in $148 million this weekend in spite of nearly every critic's attempt to trash it.

It'll be interesting to see if Sony makes any more Spider-Man movies. It will also be interesting to see if any other summer 2007 blockbusters make as much money; I'm thinking Pirates, Fantastic Four, and Harry Potter in particular. Who knows. This may be one hell of a summer for movies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5