Skip to main content

Coming Back Around Again

Jesus Is God
For some reason March of this year has been rather tough to get through. Lots of work, lots of problems (both professional and personal). All of March's hurdles notwithstanding, I decided to grab all the Pens and all the lenses and even the Sony 5N and go out and photograph - something. While we ran our errands I stopped and photographed as well as photographed where we normally stopped, coming up with this eclectic collection of snapshots.

For today's use I selected the Olympus E-M5 with the Panasonic 2.5/14mm and the Olympus E-PL2 with the Panasonic 1.4/25mm. Both cameras were set to the dramatic art filter, and I'd further tweaked the E-PL2's dramatic filter by adding the border effect.
Jesus Loves Me
I came across the van at the top on the way to our local Whole Foods. I'd seen it for several weeks parked on the side of the road. I assume it was there because of Easter, and the owner's desire to publicly express their faith. This is the second large vehicle I've seen decorated this this, for this reason, in the area. The first I saw was back in October 2011, and it was a finely scripted Toyota van. This one is radically different in it's underpinnings and decoration but no less staunch in its declaration of faith. Even the bike, which travels with the van and allows the driver to get around locally, is an expression of the owner's faith.
Put Lady In Van
The only odd spot on the van was this taped-on, hand lettered sign to put the lady in the van, followed by a $265 dollar fine. A warning? It's one of those little details that I'm sure has a rather pedestrian explanation but can certainly stir the imagination a bit in the mean time.
Parked
Healthy Hydrangea at Whole Foods
When we got to Whole Foods I left the E-PL2 in the Prius and took the E-M5 with me. On the way in I grabbed a few photos that appealed to me because of their color and composition. Colors have always been a big aspect of Florida, especially during the green season (March to October, basically). Especially in our spring, when the greens are really bright and the temperatures really begin to rise. Today the temperature hit 82, and it was pretty humid. Nothing bothersome like it'll be in May, but warm enough.

A Change of Pace

I have all these Pens, and the Pens have all these interesting capabilities, most of which I tend to ignore. For this group of photos I've used the pop art and dramatic tone art filters. I'm beginning to get a hang for when to use them. And I'm having a lot of fun in the process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

vm networking problem fixed

Over the weekend I upgraded to Windows 8.1, then discovered that networking for the virtual machines wouldn't work. Then I tried something incredibly simple and fixed the problem.

Checking the system I noticed that three VMware Windows services weren't running; VMnetDHCP, VMUSBArbService, and VMwareNatService. VMware Player allows you to install, remove, or fix an existing installation. I chose to try fixing the installation, and that fixed the problem. The services were re-installed/restarted, and the virtual machines had networking again.

Once network connectivity was established there was exactly one updated file for Ubuntu 13.10, a data file. This underscores how solid and finished the release was this time. Every other version of every other Linux installation I've ever dealt with has always been succeeded by boatloads of updates after the initial installation. But not this time.

Everything is working properly on my notebook. All's right with the world.