Skip to main content

Why Linux continues to languish

There's an interesting comparison on CNN Money between the Apple MacBook Air, the Everex Cloudbook, and the Sony VAIO Tz 298N. Cost wise the Sony was at the top at nearly 4 grand, while the Everex nailed the low end at $400. A nice order-of-magnitude cost spread there. I'll let the Gentle Reader find out on their on what the writer's favorite machine was, but it wasn't the Cloudbook:
The Cloudbook, which uses a Linux-based operating system called Ubuntu, was the runt of the litter.

Booting the machine up was dog slow, and the keyboard felt mushy and cheap. It could stall for minutes at a time, and all programs on it required a certain level of patience. The Cloudbook is designed to offer basics such as e-mail and the web, and the price is nice. The performance isn't.
With the exception of the keyboard, that pretty much sums up my experiences with Nokia's 770 web tablet (which I was dumb enough to buy). I can excuse the 770 (somewhat): based on Debian (as is Ubuntu), it was (under) powered by a 330 MHz ARM-based processor and 64MB of on-device memory. The Cloudbook, by contrast, ships with 512MB of memory (eight times the 770) and a Via C-7M clocked at 1.2GHz (roughly four times the 770, based on raw clock speed). Oh, and the Cloudbook comes with a 30GB hard drive, which just blows away the minuscule 128MB of flash built into the 770.

Yes, I know, the form factors are radically different, and they're separated by two years between their releases. But the same problem, pitiful performance, and they fact they both run a derivative of Debian, ties the two machines together.

And for the record, the OS on the Cloudbook is gOS V2, which is based on Ubuntu 7.10 and Enlightenment 17.

But that still doesn't hide the fact that when you give a Linux-based machine, specifically a high-profile portable (or ultra-portable) machine to someone outside the Linux faithful, that they invariably zero in on the lack of performance. I know that Linux can be very performant, because I run it all the time on Gateway notebooks and desktop machines, the same hardware that runs Windows. But in all those cases where I'm reasonably satisfied I picked and matched up the hardware and the distribution. The closest I have to the Cloudbook is rhea, which also has 512MB of memory and a 30GB hard drive, but the processor is an old (four-year-old, 32-bit only) AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.8 GHz processor. And the whole thing runs Mandriva 2008.1, and runs it quite well.

But that's just me, and I'm not selling DIY systems with Linux installed (although, at times I wish I were just to make sure it's done right). Instead, we have major manufacturers going for the lowest dollar possible machines and sticking Linux on them. And the whole combination, cheap lowball hardware plus free Linux, gives a very poor Linux experience, providing further ammunition to Linux's detractors and competitors. And that's something that the Linux community had better start paying close attention to. Business users read articles from business publications, and when they cover technology, like this one did, and they ding a Linux-powered machine, like this one did, then that makes the selling of Linux powered machines that much harder. And that reputation, deserved or not, continues to impede the widespread adoption of Linux on the desktop (and I'm including portables in this) and further infuriates the vocal but clueless Linux desktop evangelists, driving them to further heights of vocal cluelessness.

And you wonder why Redhat really wants no part of this whole mess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

vm networking problem fixed

Over the weekend I upgraded to Windows 8.1, then discovered that networking for the virtual machines wouldn't work. Then I tried something incredibly simple and fixed the problem.

Checking the system I noticed that three VMware Windows services weren't running; VMnetDHCP, VMUSBArbService, and VMwareNatService. VMware Player allows you to install, remove, or fix an existing installation. I chose to try fixing the installation, and that fixed the problem. The services were re-installed/restarted, and the virtual machines had networking again.

Once network connectivity was established there was exactly one updated file for Ubuntu 13.10, a data file. This underscores how solid and finished the release was this time. Every other version of every other Linux installation I've ever dealt with has always been succeeded by boatloads of updates after the initial installation. But not this time.

Everything is working properly on my notebook. All's right with the world.