Update to Mozilla Firefox 1.5, Beta 2 to RC 1

I just got a surprise update to my copy of Firefox 1.5. I've been using Firefox 1.5 since beta 2 came out on SuSE 10 OSS. Tonight I got a message saying that the latest release, Release Candidate 1, had been downloaded and was ready to update my Beta 2 installation. I exited Firefox and then restarted it, and sure enough it came up with an RC1 page and the title no longer has 'Beta 2' as part of the window title. I checked the area where I have Firefox installed, and sure enough there are a number of new core modules with a data of November 1st on them (and no, I don't run as root, I run as a normal user).

I'm of a divided mind as to whether this is a Good Thing or not. It's great not having to uninstall Firefox and then re-install the latest version. I've been waiting for that feature for a long time. But it's disconcerting having it done behind my back. This very same feature is available on Windows XP, and I have it turned off. In particular I have Adblock Plus installed side-by-side with Firefox and I've already had one episode where Adblock was disabled because it was incompatible with an earlier version of Firefox. It's been fixed of course, but the idea of loosing Adblock again is disconcerting. I just about shut down surfing until I got the Adblock update.

I think I'm happy to have the latest version. I just need to turn off fully automatic updates. I'm paranoid about auto updates.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5