Booting Gnoppix 1.0 Live CD - It's Alive!

I finally downloaded and booted a version of Gnoppix, version 1.0, that runs on my Linux system. Gnoppix 1.0 was released this past June 18th. After burning a boot CD-ROM, I was able to fully boot into Gnoppix and give it a spin. Past versions of Gnoppix (based on Ubuntu) had failed to correctly detect my video setup. My Linux system uses a cheap nForce2-based Chaintech motherboard that has built-in video. I disabled the built-in video in the motherboard's BIOS and instead use an ATI 9600 video card. You don't know how many Ubuntu and/or Gnoppix coasters I've created because of that problem.

Out-of-the-box Gnoppix 1.0 runs with the 2.6.10 kernel. The desktop defaults to Gnome 2.10 (although the Gnoppix web page proudly proclaims "Gnoppix uses gnome desktop environment 2.11"). The desktop looks decent, but not as nice as KDE 3.4.1 on my default FC4 environment IMHO.

I'll probably pull down the latest Ubuntu and give it a shot, and probably a copy of Kubuntu as well just to see how those work. While I'm not going to replace my FC4 environment with Gnoppix, I will say that it looks and runs better than the original, Knoppix. For testing hardware and looking at Linux for the first time, current live distributions just can't be beat. I guess I'm going to have to break down and create my own FC4 live CD. Just to see if I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5