Skip to main content

Casual Photography

Ruby and Mr. Bill, NEX 5N, OM 50mm/1.4 @f/1.4, 1/250 sec, ISO 250
The problem with us "dedicated" amateur photographers is that too many of us pursue it too grimly, never stopping to just enjoy the moment. Every photo has to come out of the camera as a Work of Art, each one perfectly composed and exposed as if our very lives depended on it. That attitude carries over into post-processing, where over saturation, over contrast and over sharpening come into play.

It's also a carryover from the early 2000s, when you had to post process if you wanted what the camera's sensor was capable of  recording. So you purchased an expensive computer with expensive post-processing software to go along with your expensive DSLR and you became an expert on post and workflow. And if you were any good at it you wrote books on it and gave seminars. Here we are in 2012, long since past that point, where the cameras now have sophisticated JPEG engines with lots of tunable parameters to give us all what would worked so hard to accomplish five or more years ago in post.

We all read about and talk about going mirrorless because we're tired of carrying heavy camera gear. I'm learning to accept what today's cameras produce because I also want to lighten my post load as much as my gear load. I like what I'm seeing coming out of the latest camera models regardless of brand.

With the operation I took a fair amount of time off (I was forced too as I couldn't walk around very well) and just read and researched in other areas. Basically I gave photography a bit of a rest. As I come back into it, I'm shifting my emphasis away from post processing with its artificiality and emphasis on ignoring what the camera is capable of doing, to doing everything possible within the camera. That means learning how to use the camera's built-in capabilities, and tuning those capabilities to deliver something more in line with my (evolving) tastes.

I've gone back to using the "shimmer effect" for manual focusing. I learned how to do that with the Olympus E-P2, and I can now do it just fine with the NEX 5N, both of them using the OM 50mm/1.4. I know I sang the praises of Sony's focus peaking, but I have since grown dissatisfied with additional use. Where once I thought I liked it, I've since changed my mind; I'm allowed to do that.

I also don't care about having to dig down into the menus to turn focus peaking on and off, and finally, focus peaking makes such a mess on the screen because it covers so much detail. So I've gone back to the shimmer effect. I photographed Ruby with the OM 50mm wide open using that technique. If you're into pixel peeping you can open Ruby's photo and click to full size to see her little girl lashes are reasonably sharp. And I like the soft effect from using the lens wide open.
Sand cranes, NEX-5N, 18-55mm @55mm, @f/5.6, 1/640sec, ISO 100
December light, NEX-5N, 18-55mm @55mm, @f/5.6, 1/500sec, ISO 100
These other two photos were taken earlier today while I was walking around the office complex where I work. The December temperatures were in the mid-70s, and with all the green in the trees you'd think it was spring rather than winter. The outdoor, with its light breezes, was wonderful. And I was able to walk around the grassy areas just fine.

All photos are straight-out-of-the-camera JPEGs, with no post processing, cropping or scaling. This is the digital equivalent of printing the full 35mm negative. And if I must say so, I find that APS-C is the new 35mm for digital.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

cat-in-a-box channels greta garbo

So I'm sitting at my computer, when I start to notice a racket in back. I ignore it for a while until I hear a load "thump!", as if something had been dropped on the floor, followed by a lot of loud rattling. I turn around and see Lucy in the box just having a grand old time, rolling around and rattling that box a good one. I grab the GX1 and snap a few shots before she notices me and the camera, then leaps out and back into her chair (which used to be my chair before she decided it was her chair).

Just like caring for Katie my black Lab taught me about dogs, caring for Lucy is teaching me about cats. She finds me fascinating, as I do her. And she expresses great affection and love toward me without coaxing. I try to return the affection and love, but she is a cat, and she takes a bat at me on occasion, although I think that's just her being playful. She always has her claws in when she does that.

She sits next to me during the evening in her chair while I sit in mi…

first night for the gingersnaps

The first night has passed and the two have managed to survive, in spite of what their tiny hearts might have thought when first arriving. Greebo, the larger of the two, has been in hiding the entire time so far. Ponder has spent the time zipping in and out of hiding spots, checking things out, and learning just how comfortable pillows are for resting your head.

During the night I felt the tiny body of Ponder hitting the bed as he leaped up on the side, and then climbed to the top to run around on top of me. At least once he play-attacked my fingers. He might be small but his claws are still quite sharp.

When I got up in the morning the bowl of cat kitten food was fairly well depleted. It's been refilled and fresh water put in the big dish on the floor. I'm assuming that both Greebo and Ponder are feeding and drinking. I have seen Greebo under the furniture peeking out at me when I went looking for him. I'm leaving him alone while he continues to adjust.

So far the guys h…

vm networking problem fixed

Over the weekend I upgraded to Windows 8.1, then discovered that networking for the virtual machines wouldn't work. Then I tried something incredibly simple and fixed the problem.

Checking the system I noticed that three VMware Windows services weren't running; VMnetDHCP, VMUSBArbService, and VMwareNatService. VMware Player allows you to install, remove, or fix an existing installation. I chose to try fixing the installation, and that fixed the problem. The services were re-installed/restarted, and the virtual machines had networking again.

Once network connectivity was established there was exactly one updated file for Ubuntu 13.10, a data file. This underscores how solid and finished the release was this time. Every other version of every other Linux installation I've ever dealt with has always been succeeded by boatloads of updates after the initial installation. But not this time.

Everything is working properly on my notebook. All's right with the world.