The Annoyances of Blogspot

Yes, you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you, especially for free. But I've had enough.

First, I get the occasional comment I need to moderate (don't be shocked, but some people actually read and respond to my rambling writings). When I do, I go to my blog and into Comment Moderation to see them listed. So far, no problem. However, when using the latest Chrome (2.0.172.33), I can't click on the expand arrow to expand the text. It works just dandy in Firefox 3.5, but not so much in Chrome 2. Where's the problem? I'd say Chrome, but I would need to grab the Javascript behind the expand control just to make sure. You know, in case somebody is checking browsers and versions and forgot about Chrome version 2. Something silly like that.

Second, I now type everything in raw HTML and text instead of Compose. Why? Primarily because some genius decided to wrap every single paragraph in a pair of empty div tags. This expands the space between paragraphs to more than one line, and that just drives me crazy when I see it. When that happens I go into Edit Html mode and delete each and every one. I got started using Html/text mode in order to put tables in my posts. As actual tables of tabular data. I have no problems with raw HTML as I've been slinging it since 1996, when I accidentally stumbled onto this web thing via Apache running on SGI boxen. But that's a long, long time ago. No, I got lazy over the WYSIWYG editing (such as it is). But I can fall back on the type-html-and-them-Preview methodology. Like back in the old days when I was constantly checking pages in the browser during an edit session.

I guess if I were serious about this blogging business I'd go to a more sophisticated platform. But I'm always too slammed for time, and after four years of posts (four years as of May of this year) and over 500 posts, it's going to be a bit of a hassle to gather all this up and drag it somewhere else. Especially with all the pictures and content.

Yes, I'm too lazy, and all I can do is complain. So sue me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5