my gx1 takes a dive in the parking lot

You're looking at a test shot taken where my wife and I went out for taco Tuesday (Lime Fresh Mexico Grill near my local Whole Foods, if you must know). On the way into the place, while I was carrying my GX1, I somehow fumbled it, and dropped it.

Onto the hard asphalt of the parking lot.

I had the Panasonic 14mm mounted on the body. When the whole assembly hit the pavement the battery cover popped open and the lens cover got knocked off. It picked up a series of little nicks on various corners and part of the metal frame was bent right at the back corner where the flash sits flush with the body.

I've carried this camera all over, including up to Seattle. In all that time I've never had an accident like this until tonight. Before I took it out with me this evening I swapped the 14mm for the 20mm I normally keep on the body. I don't know what I would have done if the 20mm had taken any kind of damage. Maybe use the drop as an excuse to get the new all-metal, all-black version.

So far the camera seems to be working just fine in spite of my best efforts to demolish it. Not bad for a $200 camera. If nothing else I'm impressed as hell how robust this little camera is. The GX1 not be weather-proof, but it was certainly Beebe-proof tonight. I would have had a heart attack if it had been the E-M5 I dropped.


A second test shot. Yes, sometimes I like in-the-dark photos because they're in the dark. So stop reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Long Religious Con Job

Ten Reasons to Ignore Ten Reasons to Dump Windows and Use Linux

Former Eclipse user re-evaluates Eclipse 3.3M5